Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Ready for a Little Fantasy Romance?


I'm so thrilled to have Hywela Lyn on my blog today! I've had her fantasy/futuristic romance, Starquest, on my reader for weeks but my eyes have not been cooperating to let me read :( I'm hoping to get some new glasses so I can start it this weekend! In the meantime, check out what Lyn has to say about writing a series!

One Thing Leads to Another…

My first published novel ‘Starquest’ (I know it’s a cliche, but it really is ‘the book of my heart’.) started out as a short story for a magazine contest. It didn’t win, but the story stayed with me, and the heroine nagged me to write more. When I wrote ‘The End ‘, it didn’t take long for Jess, my flame haired heroine, to sit beside me and whisper in my ear “Well, what about the rest of it – it didn’t end there!”
“What ‘rest of it?’ I asked, “That’s it, finito! It’s finished!
“But it’s a sad ending, you can’t leave it like that.”
“Yes I can, it’s my story, I wrote it. There are plenty of stories with sad endings ‘Romeo And Juliet’, ‘Wuthering Heights’, ‘Gone With The Wind’ – ”
“That’s as may be” (Jess is nothing, if not persistent) “but there’s a lot more about my story you don’t know, and a lot of characters you haven’t met yet.”
Truth to tell, by now I was rather fond of all my characters and quite happy to find out more about them, and be introduced to a few more. So, the short story lengthened and became the first four chapters of what was to be a full length novel. Because Jess kindly dictated the story to me in my mind, the middle is in the form of a journal, and the end is normal third person narrative to balance the first chapters. (There is a reason why it couldn’t all be written in journal form.) However, I’d no sooner typed ‘The End’, with a flourish, for the second time, when I heard that sweet, husky voice again.
“I’m sorry, but it didn’t really end like that!”
“Yes it did,” I argued, “this whole story has been working towards that very ending. Sorry.”
Well let me tell you what really happened.”
“*Sigh* All right then, but it won’t make any difference.”
As I said, Jess is nothing if not persistent. Then Dahll, who was only supposed to be a secondary character, but for whom I’d developed a certain fondness, stepped in and gave his side of the argument. He, too, can be rather persistent. I stubbornly resisted. After all, when all’s said and done, I’m the author, I dictate what happens, don’t I? Not the characters!
Wrong!
It may not be what you planned for us, but it’s the way it really happened. Why don’t you just try writing it our way, just to see how it looks.”
“Oh, all right then, if it means you’ll leave me in peace. But only to show you that it won’t work, and then we’ll go back to my original ending.”
Of course, after I’d rewritten the ending, I could see it really DID happen that way, I’d just contrived the original ending to suit what I thought was the logical course of the story, but now it seemed just that – contrived. *Another sigh* – how come my characters are always right?
(Shameless plug) If none of the above seems to make sense to you, all is revealed if you read ‘Starquest’.
After I’d finished ‘STARQUEST’ I heard that pleasant though persistent soft voice again.
“Isn’t it time you told Tamarith’s story?”
“Hmm, I suppose it would be nice to know what happened to her,” I mused.
“And I’m sure you’d like to go back to Niflheim and all that snow – you know how much you like snow -- and there must be some questions about the planet you’d like to have answered.”

There were – and that’s how ‘CHILDREN OF THE MIST’ came to be written. It was nice to meet up with Tamarith and her family again, and a new character appeared on the scene. His name was Vidarh (Most of the inhabitants of Niflheim are named after places or gods in the original Niflheim of Norse legend.) Vidarh had a few surprises of his own, and I learnt a lot more about the planet and its origins as the story progressed. Jess and Dahll played their part too, and while things weren’t easy for any of them during most of the story, I’m happy to say it all turned out happily in the end.
So my short story turned into a novel and its sequel. That was it. Job done!
“I sincerely hope you have not forgotten about me.” Who was that? I recognized the slow, deliberate way of speaking, the rich timbre – Kerry Marchant!
“You ‘short-changed’ me in Starquest. Don’t you think it is about time you remedied the matter?”
I sighed. It was difficult to resist his request, especially when he looked at me with those deep blue eyes, and that devastating, rare smile.
So, gentle reader, that’s why I’m now writing ‘Starquest III’ tentatively entitled ‘BELOVED ENEMY.’ As I said at the beginning, one thing leads to another, and sometimes one can become so fond of ones’ characters (and they become so demanding) that a story snowballs and becomes two – or three!
I love to hear from readers and fellow writers and you can contact me at Lyn@hywelalyn.co.uk

My website is www.hywelalyn.co.uk and my Blog is www.hywelalyn.blogspot.com

I also run a ‘fun’ Blog ‘The Author Roast and Toast, with my two dear friends and sister hostesses Sharon Donovan and Mary Ricksen. We meet every Friday and torture (I mean host) an unsuspecting author. It’s very interactive and casual and our guest is encouraged to promote her book during the fun and mayhem that ensues. Pop in and join the fun at http://www.authorroastandtoast.blogspot.com/




STARQUEST
Futuristic/Fantasy romantic adventure Available in e-book and print from the Wild Rose Press (where you can also download my short medieval fantasy ‘A Bargain WSith Death’ for free.)


BLURB:
When Jestine Darnell is rescued from her sabotaged starship by the crew of the Destiny her only objective is to complete her mission and keep her promise to save a world from slavery. Love is the last thing on her mind. However, she has not counted on losing her heart to Kerry Marchant the ship’s second in command, who makes his distrust of her painfully obvious, despite the chemistry between them. The completion of her mission has consequences that neither of them could have foreseen.
Enter Dahll Tarron, who becomes involved in a long and dangerous quest to find the Destiny. Fates become intertwined, perils shared, culminating in the realization that sometimes love may be so close there is a danger it will not be recognized until it is too late…
You can see a trailer, here at Blazing Trailers:

CHILDREN OF THE MIST:


BLURB:
Two minds united against a common foe. Two hearts afraid to show their love: Long ago Tamarith fell in love with a man she can never have, and is convinced she will never love another. However, she cannot help but be intrigued by a handsome stranger whose psychic powers exceed even her own. Vidarh seeks only to find his true purpose in life and to win the regard of his father, who eschews his son’s psychic abilities.
Thrown together by a common threat to their planet, then torn apart by an evil greater than any they could have imagined, can Vidarh save the lovely Nifl woman who has captivated him, before it is too late? Will Tamarith and Vidarh overcome the deadly enemy who threatens to destroy all they know and love? Will they find the happiness they both seek? Or are they fated to live their lives alone?
Watch the Trailer!




BIO

Hywela Lyn most of her life in Wales and the beautiful countryside and legends inspired her to write. Although she now lives in a small village in England, she is very proud of her Welsh heritage and background. She enjoys weaving romantic tales of the future, and distant, mysterious worlds. Her pen name is a combination of her first two names.'Hywela’ is Welsh and her first name but it was never used and she has always been called by her second Christian name, Lyn.

One thing remains constant in her writing: The power of love. Love, not only between her hero and heroine, but between friends and siblings, and for their particular world and the creatures that share it.

She is crazy about all animals, especially horses. She lives with her long suffering husband, Dave, and has two horses, two ferrel cats and an adopted Jack Russell terrier called Bouncer.

Thanks so much for stopping by Lyn! I am so glad to hear that other authors have characters that pester. I found that the best friend of my heroine in Ring of Lies wants her story told too! After reading your journey through a series I'm wondering who else from Ring of Lies will chime in!

So, I'm nosy, (we've discussed my lamentable trait before ;)). Do you love Futuristic stories that let you enter another world? What fantasy world would you like to travel to?

16 comments:

  1. HI Rachel

    Thank you so much for having me on your blog today. Yes, It's surprising how characters can take on a life of their own, and in the nicest possible way, become VERY demanding!

    Oh and congratulations on 'Ring Of Lies', the 'Jewel Of The Night' is a wondeful series and I'm gradually reading through them all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a delightful post! I can so relate to the insistent "voices" demanding their story be told. What is it they say about writers? They take advantage of their schizophrenia? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the way you had to rewrite your ending to suit your characters. I have found I try to push my character in a certain direction and not only do they get mad, it just doesn't feel right. I'll be sure to check out your Author Roast and Toast...sounds like a lot of fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic post! Oh, I have a problem with the voices urging me to write their story. I can sooo appreciate that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SOOO glad I'm not the only one arguing with my heroine!! It seems to be an occupational hazard in this field!!

    Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maeve, thank you so much for stopping by and commenting. I would never tell a psycho analyst about the 'voices in my head'! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Greta

    Yes, I've found out the hard way that it doesn't pay to argue with my characters, they're nearly always right! :)

    Yes, please visit us at the Author Roast and Toast, we aways have a lot of fun and there's always the chance you could win the week's download!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ciara, nice to meet you! Thank you for your kind words It seems most of us have the same problem with our characters! That's half the fun of being a writer though! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Kim, thanks so much - you're right. Arguing with our heroine (or hero sometimes) certainly does seem to be an 'occupational hazard'!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi guys! (Waving madly :) I've said for some time now that writer's are the only people not put on Prozac for talking to the voices in their head!
    Was really glad to read Lyn's post and find out I was not alone! I think the worst is when I'm typing along, lost in my make believe world and enjoying the ride; everything is plotted out, I know where the scene is going, then BAM! My character does something or says something completely out of place to MY idea: I stop in my tracks and argue, "no, that isn't where we were going, what you said takes us off the trail." "But I want to go this way!" Stamping her or his foot. Of course I almost always give in, much like my parenting skills ;) Seriously though, I think when that happens it is our subconscious mind, the creative right brain side, saying "hey! Listen to us, we're the creative master-mind, old logical brain doesn't know squat." I try and listen to Ms. Right Brain ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad the guys in the white jackets on Friday didn't know you were hearing voices. Except for other authors, don't tell people about it...
    Ha! You have an amazing imagination. Keep them coming. It's such a thrill to read one of your books!
    And it's quite the thrill to know you my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super post! Isn't it something how our characters really do lead the way? And good thing yours did because your novels are fantastic, Lyn.

    Great blog, Rachel! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. It's nice to meet you Hywela. I know exactly what you mean when you talk about characters demanding their fair limelight time and books snowballing. Two years ago I had a shape shifter 'come to me' with the request that I write his story. He has two brother shifters (and a third who is not). He has a band of shifters he 'lives' with. But this was to be his story. Then 1 1/2 yrs later one of his brothers began speaking up and this year the other brother and one of the other band members spoke up. What started as one ST has now morphed into a possible four (so far) book series I am plotting out!

    I wish each of your books success!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mary and Sky, dear friends, thank you so much for stopping by and for your lovely comments, you make me blush; Seems we're all pretty much agreed that our characters are the ones really in charge!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Calisa

    Sorry to be so late replying to your kind comment, I've been immersed in Kerry's story, he is so persistent! :)

    Wishing you much luck with your stories, too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much again for having me at your lovely blog, Rachel, I've really enjoyed being here and finding out that I'm not alone in being directed by my characters, rahter than the other way around! LOL

    ReplyDelete