Monday, January 10, 2011

Submission Calls and the Jewel of the Night Series

In December of last year I decided to write my first book for a submission call. That decision changed my life and started me on a new writing path. The submission call, The Jewel of the Night Series from The Wild Rose Press, was for their Crimson Rose line and I had never entertained the notion of writing in the romantic suspense genre, because up until that fateful day, my chosen genre was Contemporary and Historical Paranormals. Ring of Lies became my first published novel and for that, I'm forever grateful to the editors of The Wild Rose Press; had they not decided to place a submission call I'd still be unpublished.

Submission calls intrigue me, though I have a dearth of original ideas for novels. Far from being restrictive, submission calls simply focus an author's creativity to one main theme or, as in the case of the Jewel of the Night series, a blue diamond. Glancing through the Jewel of the Night catalog is proof that creativity thrives in a submission call. While all are romantic suspense and involve a blue diamond, the plots range from Neo-Nazis to slimy politicians trying to hide past sins! Working with The Wild Rose Press and meeting the other authors in the series has been a great experience. I've learned so much and been overwhelmed with the generosity of spirit expressed by my fellow "Roses".

I thought I'd show my appreciation by spotlighting the Jewel of the Night catalog and as an added treat, fellow Jewel of the Night Rose, Riley Quinn will be visiting me on Wednesday!

Throughout the week, I'll be posting blurbs, covers, and links of each released, or soon to be released, Jewel of the Night book. Let me know if you have read or plan to read any of this series.

A few I've already read and will give my reviews,but I'm waaay behind on my To Be Read list; so help a girl out!


Guardian of the Jewel by LaVerne Clark

After coming to terms with the brutal death of her husband by unknown thugs half a world away from New Zealand, Amy Hamblin concentrates on bringing up their son alone, struggling to make their dream of an action-adventure tourism venture a success. When a dark, dangerous-looking man knocks on her door late at night claiming to be a guest, the safe, quiet life she'd created is suddenly anything but...

Gabriel Ryan's task of finding the priceless blue diamond Amy's husband stole from an organized crime ring, is made all the more difficult by the attraction that sizzles between them. Playing a role had never been so hard, and now, with a ruthless killer on the trail of the missing jewel as well, he needed all his wits about him to keep them all alive.
I had Guardian of the Jewel downloaded and ready to read this weekend but work kept me busy. We are expecting bad weather throughout Georgia today so, if I had a 'normal' job, I'd have to stay home; which means I could read all day long. Unfortunately, we all know where my office residesL.

LaVerne's Blog! Novel Natterings


Lazuli Moon by Christine DePetrillo





Three people search for the legendary Lazuli Moon in the Valdivian Rainforest.
Two of them will find a treasure they never expected.
One won't live to see another day.



Archaeologist and professor Dr. Nivia Charu can't let the Lazuli Moon remain hidden forever. With her teaching position threatened and no funds for an expedition, Nivia fears the blue diamond fabled to have healing powers will never be unearthed.


Physician Dr. Benjamin Forrester wants to cure his uncle's cancer. His attempts at manufacturing a remedy, however, have failed. Desperate and out of options, Ben needs a miracle, and Nivia may just hold the key.


Up against a crazed boat captain and ancient curses, Ben and Nivia join forces to seek the Lazuli Moon. What waits for them in the depths of the rainforest will either make them famous or kill them.


Christine's blog


I'm planning on reading this book very soon; though soon right now looks like February! I am so drawn to the unusual setting and the whole 'searching for a cure' thing is just awesome! Let me know if you get to this one before I do!



Dazzled by Jennifer Schmidlin


Magic? Death by fornication?

Josie Melbourne is not a superstitious woman, but when she is given a blue, heart-shaped hunk of glass from an eighty-two-year-old woman, her life drastically changes. Is it coincidental that moments after she receives the gift, she seduces the elderly woman's son? And in a bathroom of all places?


Travis Bramble has loved Josie for months, but she barely tolerates his presence. A prudish demeanor often accompanied her to the rest home during visiting hours, but the evening she rubs her cute little behind against his groin, things begin changing…for his benefit.


Jennifer's website


Does this sound good or what? Just after high school I worked in a nursing home. Nothing this exciting ever happened to me! L


Fifty-Eight Faces by Kat Duncan

Chief of surgery at a small children's hospital, Caroline's last hope to save it from financial ruin evaporates when she loses the Blue Diamond case to greedy Evan Quinn. When Evan buys the hospital property for high profit condo conversion, Caroline's hatred shifts into full red-alert.

But Evan is not her real enemy. Rolf, the hospital's chief administrator, has had his eye on the blue diamond since he learned of it from his Nazi grandfather. To be the 58th face to possess the Blue Diamond, one for each of its facets, grants the owner unlimited power. Rolf plans to kill the current owners and use the diamond to build his Neo-Nazi regime. Can Caroline give up her hatred and Evan his greed before Rolf kills them both?

Kat's website

Neo-Nazis running amok and messing up a Dr.'s plans? Talk about original! Definitely on the TBR!

Remember, if you read any of these I want to hear your review!


3 comments:

  1. Just when my TBR pile was beginning to look a little thin - perfect timing. I'm going to be checking some of these out for my new Nook! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. These all sound fantastic!!! I may have my first ebook series collection in the works! Thanks Rachel.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi ladies, thanks for stopping by!
    LOL, I know what you mean about the growing TBR pile. I hesitated to post these blurbs because I had to read them and you know what that means ... more on the TBR pile. They all look good but a couple are really shouting my name. I'm fighting it, because I have some major deadlines looming, but it's hard!

    ReplyDelete