Thursday, January 13, 2011

Savannah and Ring of Lies



Warning! Shameless promo ahead!!
Well, not really, but I'd love for ya'll to read Ring of Lies and tell me what you think!


I've spotlighted the Jewel of the Night series from The Wild Rose Press all week and of course I wrote one too so it's only natural that I take one day and showcase my book; My Very First Book ;)

Now, before I gush over my work I have to say a huge thank you to Lori Graham, my editor at The Wild Rose Press. I turned in a decent story; she brought out the things that made it worth publishing, in my humble opinion! I really enjoyed this whole process; submission, editing, cover art suggestions, more editing :). For that I have to say the credit goes to the wonderful publishing house that is The Wild Rose Press.
If you are an aspiring author in the romance genre, do yourself a favor and take a look at TWRP's submission guidelines. They are a really great company to work with and the support and feedback they offer to newbie authors is becoming legendary on the author cyber circuit. Even if they don't think your work meets their criteria I've heard their rejection letters can't be beat! Seriously, I'm told the letter is personal and tells you what specific areas of your manuscript need work. No form letters here!

The authors, known as Roses, are a wonderful and supportive group as well. I feel like I'm in a sorority, with tons of sisters at all levels of experience ready and willing to give a helping hand up to the newbies and the cover artists are phenomenal: Rae Monet Design, Inc. did mine with one of her freelance designers, Pickyme contributing. I couldn't have asked for a better cover and it truly depicts the heart of Ring of Lies!

Ok, now that I've done my 'academy non-award acceptance speech' :), let me say a few words about St. Patrick's Day in Savannah. I can hear you muttering, "what the heck does that have to do with her book?" :). It does, it does! Because ..., Ring of Lies is set in Savannah around the time of our St. Pat's festivities and the "culminating events" take place during and amidst the parade.

It isn't widely known, (at least I didn't know, before we moved here!), but Savannah hosts the second largest St. Patrick's Day parade in the US. From what I'm told, the city goes a little crazy in the days leading up to St. Patrick's Day. I will confess that I haven't ventured downtown for any of the activities.

Why? Well, there are two versions of St. Pat's in Savannah. The first is family friendly and centers around the Irish heritage; you'll see Celtic dancers, Irish festivals with traditional food, that sort of thing. The other version? Think Mardi Gras meets Spring Break. I don't think it is quite that wild but there is lots and lots of beer, green beer I believe, and it flows rather freely.

I wouldn't mind being downtown to watch the antics if it was just some inebriated folks making fools of themselves, but did I mention how many people our St. Pat's draws? No? Well, Savannah's events are the second largest attended in the US. Yes, we beat out Chicago and Boston. Only New York City has greater numbers. I've read that we see as many as 150,000 people here in March. I can't deal with that; crowds and I don't mix, it’s a claustrophobia kind of thing.

While I may or may not head downtown for the St. Pat's partying, (I'm thinking of sacrificing myself for the sake of ya'll-pictures for the blog, don't you know ;), there is one party I'm dying to attend and I've heard a rumor that the theme will be of an Irish bent!

As it happens, this party is a cyber affair and you are all cordially invited to follow me over to the Author Roast and Toast blog to see what Sharon Donovan, Hywela Lyn, Mary Ricksen, and of course Sharon's butler extraordinaire, Oliver, have dreamed up for my 'roast'.

I understand that the Author Roast and Toast blog site has gone retro for the occasion. So, throw on your Kiss Me, I'm Irish' T-shirt, some bell bottoms, and perhaps a pair of 'granny' glasses, and follow me over to the A.R. & T for a down home Southern party with a bit o' the Irish flare!
Oh! I almost forgot!! I'm giving away a copy of Ring of Lies ..., but you have to come to my party!

3 comments:

  1. Great food too! Love the costumes over there. No shame in piping your own Rachel. This book deserves the kudos! Still loving it. No I don't read thaaat slow, but it's my end of day reward book. I like to savor the taste of good books and once they are finished, they are gone (so to speak). So I pick those I read as a read through, and those I read as rewards. This one has made it to the reward shelf. Be proud!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like so much fun! I'm going to put RING OF LIES on my blog shelf today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Calisa, the food is good! This corset is stretched to its limit with all the 'nana puddin' I've eaten!
    I'm so glad you're enjoying Ring of Lies-,it's my first and it showcases my beautiful hometown! It will always be special to me no matter how many more I write! Does it make you want to visit me? We can sit at the No Quarter Saloon, (which is actually my favorite nigtspot, The Bayou Cafe), and sip juleps while we watch the ships go by!

    Ciara, thanks for stopping by! I hope you enjoy Ring of Lies! Did you stop by the party at Author Roast and Toast? The door prize is a copy of Ring of Lies ...

    ReplyDelete