Monday, December 20, 2010

Getting Things Done

I'm getting a late start this morning, or should I say afternoon? I had a list of things that needed my attention over the weekend but they were all put on hold because my husband brought home a nasty little virus known as 'flu!

Since two of my priority items were interviews I thought it prudent to leave them undone until my mind was , umm less muddled :)! I have made a startling amount of progress this morning though. Both of my interviews are complete and winging their ways through cyberspace and I've managed to create some semblance of order out of the ever growing "to do" list.

I've been researching organizational systems and I stumbled upon David Allen's Get Things Done technique. The system is based on the idea that getting all the things we have to do out of our heads and onto paper frees our minds to create and accomplish. I have to say that premise resonates with me because I've found myself increasingly paralyzed by the dearth of 'stuff' requiring my attention. The mountain of minutiae floating around in my head was threatening to overwhelm me until I read GTD. I can't say I'm completely fluent on all the principles of Mr. Allen's techniques but the ones I've tried have helped me tremendously.

First I poured onto paper all of the things I want to get done. Then I assigned actions to those items. That is the secret to GTD. It isn't just making a list of tons of stuff but determining what steps are needed to see those tasks completed. By mentally walking through the task I can visualize it done and that has given me the motivation to actually finish all the projects!

Speaking of projects. I've added another one to my long list of Get It Done! I'm trying to make a book trailer for Ring of Lies. I'm still in the research and development stage but I've high hopes of having it completed before Wednesday's release. Wish me luck!

1 comment: